Elakanadi Kashayam is an Ayurvedic medicine in liquid form. It is widely used in the treatment of chronic respiratory conditions. This medicine is formulated based on Kerala Ayurveda practice.
- It is used in the Ayurvedic treatment of chronic bronchitis and chronic asthma.
- It is also used as an adjuvant in the treatment of tuberculosis.
- The dose is 12 – 24 ml, before food, at about 6 am and 6pm or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- It is usually advised to add equal amount of water to the kashayam.
- It is advised to have a little honey after taking / along this medicine.
Lac, sugar, liquorice, cumin or honey.
- There are no known side effects of this medicine.
- Higher dose may cause gastritis.
Ela – cardamom – Elettaria cardamomum
Kana – Piper longum
Madhuka – Licorice – Glycyrhiza glabra
Nagara – Ginger
Abda – Cyperus rotundus
Vasa – Adhatoda vasica
Nimba – Azadirachta indica
Amruta – Tinospora cordifolia
Ambu – Hemidesmus indicus
Dashamoola – group of ten herbs. –
Bilva – Aegle marmelos
Agnimantha – Premna mucronata
Shyonaka – Oroxylum indicum
Patala – Stereospermum suaveolens
Gambhari – Gmelina arborea
Brihati – Solanum indicum
Kantakari – Solanum xanthocarpum
Gokshura – Tribulus terrestris
Shalaparni – Desmodium gangeticum
Prishnaparni – Uraria picta
It is added with 8 parts of water, boiled and reduced to quarter part, filtered.
It is further added with fine powders of
Laksha – Laccifer lacca
Sita – sugar candy
Madhuka -Licorice – Glycyrhiza glabra
Jiraka – Cuminum cyminum